Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Gonna Try Again...

I have been struggling with my weight for some time now. To think, I thought I was fat when I was in High School is now beyond me. Compared to what I am now, I was a skinny minny, but compared to the girls I went to school with, I was on the heavier side. But now I know about BMI and ideal weights for height and age. I know BMI is not an exact calculator but it is a good indicator if you need to lose some weight. Believe me, I need to lose some weight! I need to lose about 40lbs, though I will be thrilled with 20-30. So Sunday I signed up for Weight Watchers AGAIN. Again you say? Yup, again. I actually have really good luck following their plan, the trick for me is to KEEP following it until I get to where I want to be. I tend to get distracted by having babies or moving. :-) Well, there are no more babies in our future and thankfully there are no moves on the horizon either (I have at least a year, knock on wood). I believe I am in the right mind set to do this, so I am going to do it.

I am going to write about it periodically to keep some accountability with myself. This is not a body image issue for me, this is really a health issue for me. I want to be around for a long time for my husband and my kids. I want to live a long vivacious life and not worry about trying to get around or about having heart attacks. I know that as an "apple" shape I have a higher risk of heart disease, so now is the time to take care of it. Though I believe it is never too late to try to help yourself.

Two things I know from past experience that really help with my own weight loss is drinking more water and exercise. The drinking more water may be that I am just cutting out my biggest vice, REGULAR Coke. Hmm, I love Coca Cola... Exercise speaks for itself. :-) What do I do for exercise? Walking videos. I know, crazy. I love Leslie Sansone and I also like the Stott Pilates Walking Videos. My two favorites are:
Leslie Sansone - Walk Away the Pounds For those of you just starting out you can start with the 1 mile walk, it will only take you 20 minutes. As you are able to complete that video then you can add in the weights or bump it up to the 2 miles (30 minutes) and then up to 3 miles (45 minutes). It doesn't take very much. She keeps you on pace, no one is around to see you huffing and puffing, or even out of sinc. It is a no fail! As Leslie says "You can't do it wrong, just keep moving!"
Stott Pilates: The Secret To Weight Loss vol 1 This walk has a few different moves than Leslie's to add some variety to your work out routine and if you have the time you can do some SIMPLE pilates at the end.

So here is to sticking to the plan and learning to eat healthier. Here is to a longer, more energetic life!

5 comments:

Kat said...

Good luck with Weight Watchers. It was the way I lost my weight and have kept it off for almost 11 years.

Sagey said...

Thanks Kat! Congrats to you!! Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated. :-)

Kat said...

I journal everything which helps keep me on track. And I try to get some form of exercise in 5 to 7 times a week. I don't always get to workout every day but I do try.

B. Jill said...

Here's to you!! I understand the "live with the boys longer" ideal and it was ultimately (and letting go of some past baggage) what motivated me. WW was and still is, the plan that helped me as well. I hit 50 lost two weeks ago....who can say they lost 3 pounds during the holidays? Nuts!!!! Keep with it, Amy! I want US to be around for a long time. After all, who will make lunches for our "boys" as they head off to geo-cache?

Sagey said...

Thanks Jill. I needed to be remotivated after this past week! I was beginning to think life was always going to get in the way, but I just can't let it.

Congrats on the 50#!!!!! I would have never ever guessed you ever needed to lose that much!