Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Protocol

So I learned something new yesterday. Well, actually I learned lots of new things yesterday but one thing that I thought I should share was a couple of etiquette issues.

1. If your DH is in his Mess Dress uniform (you know, that tuxedo one) you should be in a floor length gown! Yes, this was a shocker to me. I just went and bought a dress for the ball on the 19th and it is NOT floor length. Panic attack! Well, not really but I was in a bit of a tizzy over it. At this point in DH's career I am supposed to be stepping up into a leadership role with the other spouses and setting a good example to the younger folk. Yes, I see you all Rolling on the Floor laughing at this thought. :-) It scares me too. ;-) So I talked to a more senior submarine wife and she assured me that she is NOT wearing a floor length gown and not to worry too much. This is after all, Hawaii. But for those of you not in Hawaii... well you decide. Contemplating this new information, it actually made sense to me.

In Summary: Mess Dress = Floor length gown
SDBs or Chokers = cocktail dress. Complement what your significant other is wearing.

I have a crazy week ahead of me before the ball. But another wife did tell me about a great store at the outlets that has beautiful gowns super cheap. So if I can, I will head up there and see what they have and hopefully be able to return my more expensive cocktail dress. :-) But if I don't make it up there, oh well!

2. BMW... Did you ever sit down to a formal meal and wonder which bread plate is yours? Just remember BMW... from left to right looking at your place setting you will find your BREAD plate, your MEAL, and your WATER.

I hope everyone has a wonderful time at their respective Sub Balls!

6 comments:

divrchk said...

I did not know that about the dress length. Good data. Also, if you put your fingers in the OK sign on both hands, the left forms a b and the right a d - bread and drink on the correct sides.

Anonymous said...

Filing "BMW" away for future use!

Interesting about formal attire. I guess I was a rogue at last years' ball in cocktail length. Interestingly enough the significant other to my right was in a black, somewhere between thigh and knee length strapless tube dress. I wasn't so worried.

And I'm sure no matter what you wear it'll be great. (and we want pix!!!)

Sorry to hear you're cranky and why, although I understand!

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

Okay, I have to side with the protocol on this one...while in CT, I saw all manner of dress for the balls. Pant suits (come on people, putting on a dress isn't going to kill you), non-evening dresses (I don't care if they are floor length or not, if it's something that can be worn to a day event, it shouldn't be at a ball), and tennis shoes (a very pregnant woman with a cocktail length dress and tennis shoes...if it were floor length and you couldn't see them, that's one thing...but why didn't she just wear flats or dressy flip flops?). With things like this, I can understand why protocol people are harping.

Sagey said...

Thank you all for not admitting that you were Rolling on the Floor Laughing. ;-)

One Crazy Adventure said...

Thanks for the lesson. I, too, was not aware. But, I do have enough sense to not wear a pant suit. Actually, I'm not really sure where I would purchase one of those...

Anonymous said...

floor length? Really? Geez... we have a billion pics of hubby in his mess dress and me in a cocktail fun dress. Sure, over the years and the climb up the ladder my dresses are not as "fun" but I have only worn a floor length dress once-and my husband hated it.
I guess it depends on you and your style. Are you a Jackie Kennedy or a Nancy Reagan?