Friday, April 11, 2008

I am Legal

I am now officially legal to make right hand turns from the left lane in the state of Hawaii.

My Virginia Driver's License was about to expire and after much procrastination I undertook the process of getting a new Hawaii Driver's License.

1. Go get the Driver's Manual from some place like Longs or Borders Books.
2. Read/Study the book
3. Go take the written exam and pay your money and get a new license.

Well, step 3 deemed more difficult than necessary. I looked online to see where I could go get a license and was lead to believe that I could go to the facility at the Pearl Ridge Mall. So I dropped YB off at school, came home, exercised, showered and got ready. I went over to the Pearl Ridge Mall, filled out my application and waited. Once it was my turn I was informed that they do not do out of state license transfers as they do not administer the written test. I could go downtown or go to a town out west. I opted for Kapolei. I had a couple of hours before I had to go get YB so I headed out there.

Well, my fancy wancy Acura MDX Navigation system does not work in Hawaii so I had to wing it, and yes I got lost. I finally found the building, went in and stood in line and by the time the guy had entered all my information into the computer it was time for me to head out to get YB. Thankfully they guy told me that I could come back within 24 hours and finish the process.

YB and I headed out this morning. When we arrived there were 4 people already taking the 30 question multiple choice test. When I finished my test and double checked it, there were 3 of the original 4 left in there taking their test. When I left with my beautiful new license those 3 were still in there taking the test. I sure hope it was a different test, but I don't think so.

My biggest complaint with this system is that they do not tell you if you got any wrong or not and if you did get something wrong, what it is so you could make sure you know the correct rule. Or maybe I just got them all right!

One thing that was confirmed for me is that you are NOT supposed to cross a solid white line, except in unusual circumstances and with great caution. I cannot tell you how many people get on the highway here and automatically cross that solid white line. I also have to say that I was a tad dismayed to see that not anywhere in the driver's manual did I find anything specifically telling me that I could NOT make a left from a right hand lane or vice versa! :-)

If anyone is interested in my copy of the Driver's Manual, let me know.

I am now off to go make lefts from the right lanes and rights from the left lane. :-)

No comments: