Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Thankful Thursday

As some of you may have ascertained, ES can be a peculiar child. We don't have your typical household of running around to soccer, baseball, football or any other big team sport. Any sport I have attempted with ES has been met with a resounding NO! I force him to swim. Somedays it is a fight to get him there but I feel like he needs to MOVE and not just sit around and read or play video games and he always seems to enjoy himself once he gets there.

Tonight we attempted something new. Fencing! We first watched fencing during the 2008 summer Olympics. One day, I caught ES with a stick jabbing at a bush and I commented that he looked like a real fencer. Since then he has been asking to fence for and they do offer it at the local recreation center. The kicker was that he had to be 8. Well, now he is 8 and I was sure he was going to change his mind, but he didn't. I signed him up and he started tonight. I actually saw my child LAUGH and put on stinky clothes willingly (he won't bowl because of the shoes)!

Blunos, ES, Myself, and YB before fencing began.

I am sure part of the fun it is that Coach Geoff of Have Blade Will Travel truelly enjoys what he does. He even had the parents laughing in their seats.

Don't let him poke you ES! :-)

The Have Blade website says that:
"Fencing has often been referred to as physical chess because of the high mental discipline that it requires. It is a great alternative sport to those that may not feel like they fit in with the mainstream sports.".

I am thankful we seem to have found something ES will enjoy that does not involve a controller or a book. :-) Only time will tell if we found a perfect fit, but for today I am thankful I got to see ES laugh and enjoy himself off the couch. :-)


Ok, so it technically isn't Thursday, I tried to schedule the post for tomorrow and it didn't work and I don't feel like messing around with it, so here it is. :-)

1 comment:

Hilary said...

It's wonderful when they find something they're passionate about. I worried for the longest time about my younger guy because he didn't have anything like that, and I knew he'd be prone to trouble. Finally, a guitar landed in his hands and he's never looked back. I'm glad your boy has found something to make him smile. :)

Will the speed demon be driving him? ;)