Sunday, June 15, 2008

Thank You Dad and Mom!

This was one of the hardest Father's Day I have ever had. My father passed away almost 10 years ago. Since ES was born, Father's Day has been about what a wonderful father Blunoz is to our children. ES and YB are truly blessed to have such a wonderful father.

But I also had a wonderful father. Today the sermon at church focused on how to be a great father and the pastor used examples of some great father's such as Tim Russert and Tiger Woods and his father. The end of the sermon focused on Tiger winning the US Open in 2006 soon after his father passed away and his emotions of not having his father there to hug. Now I haven't won a US Open but I can definitely relate. Missing your father hits at the oddest moments (and of course some not so odd). Today was one of those days for me.

Today I waned to thank my father and my mother for being such wonderful parents. My parents have loved me unconditionally all these years and supported me in every endeavor I have undertaken. None so great as winning the US Open, but I know they are still proud of me.

As a child, it always used to crack me up at how "fair" my parents were. If my brother got a 10 speed bike at age 12, my sister got one at age 12 and then I got one at age 12. If they spent $X on my brother for his birthday, then they spend $X on my sister and on me. My grandmother was the same (to the point where we would find pennies in our gifts). But as an adult, I can now so appreciate how equally they treated us. I am sure at times my siblings and I felt our parents loved one of us more than the other, but that was so not true. Yes, our parents loves us each differently, but they never loved one of us more than another.

Thank you Mom and Dad for loving us each so unconditionally and so thoroughly. You hard work and love has not gone unnoticed.

Mom, I hope you didn't have to get any tissues! But remember you are loved more than you will ever know (even when you drive me bonkers :-) )!!!

1 comment:

divrchk said...

I'm sorry that you had such a hard day. I'm also sorry that when we were talking last night that I didn't realize that you were missing your dad - It should have been so obvious and I feel like a tard for it not clicking. Your dad was wonderful and is sorely missed. He would have been so fantastic as a grandfather.

It's amazing that not all parents treat there children with equal love and affection as well as with equal material objects. One needs that equality no matter how old we are. Feelings can be hurt no matter if you are 5 or 35.